"When was the last time you were able to take time to focus solely on you? Therapy and Counseling can provide a place where you can feel truly heard while developing skills to enhance your life and relationships." - Franci Smith
Franci Smith is an experienced Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) and Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) providing couples counseling, marriage counseling, individual and teen therapy. She has specialized training in couples counseling/intimate relationships, stress reduction, anxiety, depression, teen issues, postpartum depression and life transitions. In addition to this, Franci provides Life Coaching and Career Counseling to individuals who are struggling with finding a positive path in their lives.
Franci Smith offers effective therapy to help individuals, couples and families make changes as quickly as possible, leading to greater happiness and more fulfilling and satisfying relationships sooner. Her compassion, warmth, humor, and interactive style creates a therapy environment of trust, safety and support.
During therapy, Franci promotes a safe place, so you and your loved ones can feel understood in a non-judgmental, accepting atmosphere. You can set your goals and we will work collaboratively together to help you progress towards them. Her approach to therapy is built upon the effective formation of trust necessary for lasting, positive change.
Through therapy, you will have the opportunity to expand your perspective, make positive changes, and grow throughout the process. Franci provides an open and caring atmosphere where you can feel safe, respected and, most importantly, understood.
Presently, Franci maintains a full time private practice in Brentwood, CA. She is also a Clinical Supervisor of Marriage and Family Therapist Interns. Franci is committed to ongoing professional growth and development as a psychotherapist, and regularly attends professional trainings and workshops.
with the Body’s Energy Meridians” - Certificate
- John Gottman Couples Therapy
- Ester Perel’s Couples and Sexuality
- IMAGO Relationship Therapy - Harville Hendrix
- Collaborative Couple’s Therapy – Dan
- Brief, Solution Focused Therapy for
Individuals and Couples
- Crisis Management and Behavioral Health Model
- “Systematic Training for Effective Parenting” - Certificate
- Post Traumatic
Stress Disorder (PTSD) - Certificate
Personality Disorder - Certificate
- “Adding Energy and
Balance to Your Life and Practice by
- CPSP (Comprehensive Prenatal Services Program) - Certificate
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Therapy for anxiety and depression using CBT approach
- Teen Therapy
Franci has extensive training and experience as a therapist. She holds dual therapy licenses: Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor. Franci's education and training includes a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, a Master's degree in Clinical/Counseling Psychology, 3000 hours (about 3-4 years) practicum prior to licensure, and then passing three state board licensing exams. All combined, this is typically a 9 to 10 year process. Several units of ongoing Continuing Education is then required to keep the two licenses active.
Franci Smith's current and past professional clinical experience includes:
- Private Practice Marriage and Family
Therapist - Current
- Private Practice Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor - Current
- Clinical Supervisor of Marriage and Family Therapist Interns - Current
- Prenatal Psychosocial Consultant
- Behavioral Health Specialist/Crisis Counselor
- Young Teen Specialist - Certificate
- Invited Graduate Instructor at California
State University, East Bay, Department of Educational Psychology, Graduate Counseling Psychology and Marriage and Family Therapy Program
- Couples Counseling. Franci has been trained in John Gottman’s Couple’s Therapy, IMAGO Couples Therapy, Esther Perel’s Couples and Sexuality Therapy, and Dan Wile’s Collaborative Couple Therapy. She has helped numerous couples to improve communication, intimacy, infidelity and rekindle their relationships.
- Anxiety/Stress/Depression. Helping people to overcome from anxiety, stress, and depression is of personal interest. Franci enjoys teaching individual's skills and techniques to overcome these issues. Franci's graduate school thesis was written about Anxiety and Stress and ways to overcome it and live a happier and more fulfilling life. She offers an anxiety support group. She has training in CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy); EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) and DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy ) to help individuals reduce anxiety, stress and depression. These techniques are also helpful for regulating emotions and anger management.
- Teen Counseling. Franci has provided counseling for many teens and has had training as a Young Teen Specialist at PPSP. Her extensive training includes helping with teens surrounding depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, school, peer and family relationships.
- Prenatal and
Postnatal Counseling and Postpartum Depression. This experience has been acquired through years of work at women’s
clinics. She has developed extensive knowledge and expertise concerning the issues
that women face before, during, and after pregnancy (e.g., postpartum depression,
changing family structure, change in relationship with partner, stress of being
a new mother, etc.). Franci enjoys working
with women and their families to help them adjust to these often difficult life
- Brief Counseling and Crisis Management. Franci co-developed and pioneered the pilot
program to incorporate a Behavioral Health Model into the PPSP affiliate. This included ongoing staff trainings and presentations to the Management, Staff and Board of Directors of the affiliate.
California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, MFC 49571
California Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, LPC 969
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)-Clinical Member
- East Bay Association of Marriage & Family Therapists (EBCAMFT)-Clinical Member
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA)
- Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) - Licensed (MFC 49571)
- Psi Chi National Honor Society in Psychology
- The Chancellor's List for Academic Achievement in Graduate School
- CPSP (Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program) -Certification 2010
Let’s talk. For a free phone conference and/or to make an appointment, call Franci on her confidential phone / voicemail at (925) 588-3070, send me an email at [email protected], text, or fill out the Contact Form on this website.
Phone: (925) 588-3070
Office located in Brentwood, CA
1210 Central Blvd., Suite 107
Brentwood, CA 94513
Proudly Serving: Brentwood, Antioch, Oakley, Discovery Bay and their surrounding communities.
Specializing in Couples Counseling and Individual Therapy
Providing Marriage and Family Therapy, Counseling Services and Life Coaching to Individuals, Couples, Teens, and Families
Franci Smith provides therapy and counseling services for Individuals, Couples, Teens, Children and Families in the east bay of the SF bay area. She specializes in anxiety, depression, couples counseling, marriage counseling, family counseling, teen issues and life transitions. Her offices are located in Brentwood. The location offers easy freeway access and are close to public transportation. Surrounding cities include Brentwood, Discovery Bay, Oakley, Livermore, Antioch and Pittsburg. .For a sitemap click here.
Franci Smith, LMFT provides confidential, counseling and therapy services for teens, adults, couples, and families specializing in Teen Counseling, Anxiety Therapy, Depression Therapy, Family Counseling, Relationship Therapy, Couples Counseling, Premarital Counseling, and Marriage Counseling.